Thursday 9 January 2020

Day 7 - 6 -- Gathering

The day began with more snow shoveling. Smaller amount to move around due to shoveling completed last evening. During the day, I worked through e-mails from over the holiday period and got things fairly well caught up. I spoke with several colleagues after their return to campus after the holiday break. It was so nice to see and chat with them after being away for a couple of weeks. Most look rested and ready to tackle the term ahead of them -- as do the students I encountered. I do miss the daily contact with the work colleagues, but having a moment or two throughout the term to chat with one or two always makes me smile. They are more than colleagues, they are friends.

Outside my office window as the sun went down, I saw the almost full moon and I heard the local murder of crows. Not sure if the sheer number constitutes more than a single murder, but I'd be comfortable noting this was likely multiple murders gathering together. This group is huge. They gather in different areas along the brook each evening at sunset. Tonight, they seem to have been in the large conifers in front of the cathedral, on power and telephone lines along the street, other trees in the vicinity and on building rooftops. The sound is nothing if not a cacophony of individual voices that almost sound like a large crown of humans -- greeting each other, telling tales of the day, and likely stretching the truth just a bit within all the humour that seems to be part of their encounters. We can learn much from nature. Crows have significant intelligence and are clearly very social creatures. Their gatherings at end of days reminds me of being at a local pub after work. There is clearly importance and collegiality attached to communication -- something we could all benefit from.

Thinking of a song brought a few to mind, several came to mind. I chose one due to several lyric lines that highlighted the importance of friends, colleagues and acquaintances. Enjoy!

In my Life -- The Beatles


song - In My Life -- Beatles?



No comments:

Post a Comment