Sunday 5 January 2020

Day 7 - 5 -- Following one's passion

Outside the window, a snow storm rages. Most snow fell by early evening, but that is when the winds picked up. All should dissipate into the morning tomorrow. I did move some snow after supper, so there might be less to move tomorrow. That's my theory anyway.  During a phone call to an older uncle today, he asked if I was done with the research yet and was really retired. I took a deep breath and spoke about it as a passion -- something I love doing and always have done this in my spare time when it wasn't part of my paying job. We noted that there is a need for a transition to work out what retirement will be like -- that first time in life when days have little structure other than the parameters we ourselves set for the time.

After the call, I continued to work through his questions. I was reminded of a quotation from Winston Churchill. "Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about." Isn't that an amazing thought? So many passions fit with this statement -- professions, hobbies, relationships (in no particular order <smile>). It is similar to the aphorism about doing what you love and the rest will fall into place. Definitely something that needs further pondering.

Parts of a song fit portions of these thoughts. The lyrics address the need to pay attention to one's heart and follow one's passions. Enjoy!

Unwritten -- Natasha Beddingfield

No comments:

Post a Comment