Tuesday 4 March 2014

Day 63 -- cold, cars and computers

I really spoke too soon when I termed yesterday manic -- today there were very few minutes between booked meetings, classes, lab and walk-in or phone-in new meetings. Again, I don't mind these tasks, but just want some time to regroup before moving forward. The day began with the car failing to start. It was very cold overnight -- well, cold for places without block heaters. But, it didn't seem to be a battery issue and I think it is something a bit more costly to fix <sigh>. I don't have to be in class or a meeting until noon tomorrow, so that will give me time to call someone to get it in to fix. During the day there was a continued battle with a software program that is supposed to save time over completing forms by hand. Instead it took over an hour to complete a form that would take 15-20 minutes by hand with pen and paper. It is a frustrating aspect of work.

On days like today I especially miss my dad. He understood the detailed inner workings of the internal combustion engine as well as his expertise in carpentry and basic knowledge of plumbing and electrical wiring. No matter where I lived I could always call him, tell him the symptoms of the problem and give him my differential diagnoses. He taught me well and I can recognize many of the common and some of the less common car problems (and plumbing and electrical <smile>). So -- I have my primary diagnosis and one alternate one. I just wish there was a phone where he is so I could confirm it before going into the mechanic. It can be problematic being a female with a car problem; even when I know exactly what I want them to do, they tend to ignore me. That has cost some of them a free redo a few times and led to their being struck off my list of places to trust with my vehicle.

Today's selection is for Dad -- one of his favourites and one that I've loved since I was a kid. <smile> Enjoy!

Moonlight Serenade -- Glenn Miller


No comments:

Post a Comment