Tuesday 25 March 2014

Day 84 -- Sunshine and Sadness

Sunshine greeted me this morning and it was strong and bright all day long. It was a day of juxtapositions, though. When I arrived at the office and checked the e-mail, the second message in the list brought sad news. Earlier in the day, an amazing man left this world.

He served in the Merchant Navy during WWII. I had been unaware of this service until well into adulthood when I was chatting with him about my recent trip to southeast Asia. I had noted that Bangkok seemed like the armpit of the world. He smiled his quiet smile and said, "You've never been to Calcutta." That opened a conversation about his service in the Atlantic during WWII -- which I discovered later was a highly dangerous job as they were transporting supplies and were prime targets for German subs. Several years later when I moved to the maritimes, he told me about a particular visit to Lunenberg just after VE day when the ships in port drank the town dry -- trips were made to points east, including Halifax, to keep that party going <smile>.  He was a modest man, rarely speaking about his aboriginal heritage or naval service. When asked, he generously answered questions, though. He and his wife and family moved many times to many jobs -- mainly around Saskatchewan, but also to Hay River,  NWT and Prince George, BC.

I treasure every visit we had together. I could be myself with him and he accepted me for me -- that 'just as I am' kind of love. I know I will miss him and I do believe the world is a poorer place without his corporeal presence. He, of course, will live on in the memories of those who loved him.

Today's selection reflects the feelings I've had today. This version is a cover by an unexpected duo with amazing harmony skills. Enjoy!

Crying in the Rain -- Art Garfunkel & James Taylor



No comments:

Post a Comment