Monday 17 March 2014

Day 76 -- a day for family history

Today I celebrate my ancestors who came to North America from Ireland. My father's family arrived at the beginning of the potato famine with two brothers heading to the US and one brother and sister-in-law staying in Canada. Other branches  on both sides of the family likely originated in Ireland, too. I often think of the family members who braved the north Atlantic, probably travelling in steerage.I will admit that motion sickness and some nasty infectious disease would have taken me before getting across the pond.

Imagine leaving the place of your birth due to lack of money and food, much of it stemming from an unjust land tenure system. The three brothers that left Ireland travelled with the widow of another brother and her young family. I can't think of what that trip would be like with toddlers and kids in diapers. I expect that they were fully aware of the negative aspects of the crossing, and yet it seemed a far better situation than where they were.Their bravery and their desperation overwhelms me as I try to put myself in their shoes.

I've spoken to people who have chosen to move from their home country to make a better life for themselves and their families. It never seems to be an easy choice and people speak about that decision in a wistful way. Many left family  behind, but there is a better chance with today's travel methods that they may be able to visit them again. In the mid-1800s, this was not the case. I wish I could speak to those ancestors and tell them how grateful I am for their decisions -- without them I wouldn't be here doing what I am doing today.

The selection today is an Irish song sung by a group from Newfoundland whose name says it all <smile>. Enjoy!

Rocky Road to Dublin -- Irish Descendants


No comments:

Post a Comment