Thursday 27 March 2014

Day 86 -- WIND!

The day began with shovelling a path to the back of the car, leaving 2-3 car lengths to the street for my plough guy to clear. That took 45 minutes, but the snow was drier and lighter than what I moved last night. By early afternoon, we walked out of the office building to head out to a meeting and were accosted by the most ferocious wind. It literally blew us across the parking lot with no control of where we were being pushed to run. On the way back after the meeting, I felt like a mime walking against the wind, but getting no where. On the way home, I was buffeted about but managed not to be blown into traffic.

Days like today make me think of the east wind that Mary Poppins blew in on. That east wind always seemed so gentle. The wind today was anything but gentle. I'm sure if  I'd had a cape or wings, I'd have taken off into the blue sky. It was difficult to remain upright and for my feet to keep touching the ground with some of the huge gusts. Not quite as bad as the storm chasing meteorologists we saw blow right out of the shot yesterday, but very close.  I know wind. I grew up on the prairies. But the maritime winds seem to come from all directions at once. I was walking headlong into the north wind, turned left at the corner and walked headlong into the west wind.

While I was outside today, several song lines ran through my head. I chose this one as it made me smile -- at least after an encounter with a wicked gust. Enjoy!

Up, Up and Away -- The Fifth Dimension




No comments:

Post a Comment