Sunday 16 March 2014

Day 75 -- its all about the music

While working on course prep and grading today, I had the television playing in the background. During one of the movies, I surfaced when I heard familiar words about music. The brain is an amazing thing. I wasn't really listening, but my brain still heard it all and filtered it all. A couple lines came back through my mind as I carried on with the heavy lifting. Very cool to have this ability -- it is like a super power, but one we don't readily recognize <smile>.

The line that burst through this unconscious process told us that music comes from love. For the most part, I agree with this. There are a few things that I have heard blaring from my student neighbour's windows that really were more filled with hate, but that is a small grain of sand in that beach full of music. Today, the second verse (of three) noted the deep effect music can have to help us relax and rise above the turmoil of daily life. It also noted that some music doesn't make sense to each and every one of us. The former of these is the  reasons behind this blog. Several friends have noted that my choices can be eclectic. For that reason, I know that not all choices will resonate with all readers and listeners. While each one speaks to me in some way, we are not all the same, so of course they won't be interpreted in the same way by everyone else. This is part of the plurality of music -- we all hear different things, have different words speak to us, and tolerate different styles to varying degrees. For these reasons, I have been amazed that so many people stop by to see what music was chosen for the day. To me, this shows that music can move beyond borders and bring people together. Very cool. <smile>

So -- for today's selection the song that got me pondering something beyond the papers I was grading <g>. Enjoy!

The Book of Love -- Peter Gabriel


No comments:

Post a Comment