Monday 31 March 2014

Day 89 -- new musical talent

This day filled with rain and freezing rain and a bit of snow, ended in a wonderful way. At a fundraiser for the local summer repertory theatre, there were three wonderful young musical talents sharing their gifts. These three had been at a regional music festival for all ages and had come home to town with top honours, and it was evident why this was. A young woman keyboardist sang some moving songs -- mainly written locally. She sang a duet with another young woman that was stunning. A young guitarist played and sang the most unique set I've heard in a long time -- some John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Tracy Chapman, Johnny Cash and one other that escapes me at present. The acoustic guitar was delightful and his cover of the vocals worked very well. It was fantastic to hear these young people -- they appear to be senior high school students. The young man said he wanted to open with a song he'd been singing for a long time, and I will admit that made me smile. (the song was older than he was <g>)

So, while there was a mix of newer material, local material and what the radio stations insist on calling 'classic' material, everyone in the room was spellbound. The sadder songs of life almost brought a tear -- very moving. The upbeat songs brought memories of earlier days. I was impressed and happy to see that these young people are on their way to making music a part of their lives and sharing it with those around them. This part of the world seems to be a source of much musical talent -- it is an accepted part of life and expected for any 'kitchen party' that there will be several musicians in the crowd to keep the group going. My grandparents were known for this kind of party back on the prairies, but it is not commonplace there as it is in the Maritimes. I think that my grandparents played a role in my love of music and my eclectic tastes. My dad learned to play saxophone early in life and I recall my grandfather playing the violin around the house when we were all there. Music is definitely a major addition to my life and I'd hope other families will also embrace it for their younger members (as well as the 'older' members <smile>)..

Based on the writers of 'older' songs sung tonight, I was reminded of a fantastic duet I'd heard before and Youtube did not forsake me. <smile>.  While this wasn't sung tonight, other songs by these two were presented. I am just captivated by the blending of voices and styles in this song. Enjoy!

Give me one reason -- Tracy Chapman and Eric Clapton


No comments:

Post a Comment