Friday 28 March 2014

Day 87 -- reflecting on a song

In the business of the day, I had a chance to chat with a couple friends. We noted a fundraising event on campus this weekend that was a tribute to the music of Neil Young. The event is called "Heart of Gold" which is likely my least favourite Young song, but it does fit the theme of a fundraising event well. When asked what other song of his I particularly enjoyed, I immediately said, "After the Goldrush." From the quizzical look that I encountered, I assured my friend that he'd recognize it if he heard it, and so I began to sing/hum the song. There was an immediate flicker of recognition and as he walked down the hallway he turned and asked if that was the song with the lines . . . where he cited two lovely lines. He went off singing the song.

Then I stopped myself and began to deconstruct my reasons for choosing this song as a favourite of Neil Young. I will admit that the melody and pacing have a soothing aspect to them and are very memorable. When I reflected on the words, I began to recognize that they do embody a passion of mine that began decades ago -- that of the environmental movement. This song was written around 1970 when many children of the '60s (including Al Gore) were raising awareness and advocating for improved daily activities to conserve the ecosystems within which we live.

It seems fitting to share this selection with you as we move towards Earth Hour tomorrow -- 8:30-9:30 PM join the world in a rolling blackout by turning off lights and flickering screens for one hour. Maybe sing this song <smile>. This version is a cover by another Canadian artist with a wonderful voice. Enjoy!

After the Goldrush -- K.D. Lang


No comments:

Post a Comment