Friday 18 December 2015

Day 2 - 350 -- Seasonal Snow Wishes

I was up late grading last night and awake earlier than I wanted, to grade all day and evening. I've managed to get the first exam grading completed. Several hours still await the course grade calculations and entry into a quirky software program <smile>. Those will wait until tomorrow. Well -- later today actually, as I look at the clock.  There was sunshine between clouds a few times today, but little fell from the sky. The forecast is for warming temps and rain overnight and tomorrow. It will be good to get out to the grocery store before the next exam and next weather change.

As I was grading, I recalled things I've heard every year for as long as I can remember. I've often wondered why people make such statements. The general format is "I hope we get snow for Christmas" or "I love snow on Christmas Eve." Beyond the Hollywood romanticizing of snow falling gently in movies, I'm not sure I fully understand this. I've never had to drive to visit family on Christmas -- they lived within a few blocks of my childhood home. Other family and friends often had to drive a few hours down the highway for dinner and then back in the evening. Even that softly falling snow can create issues when travelling. So, why this is a wish always baffles me. Then, I've often heard the wish for snow is just to see it in the air in the evening, but not to have anything accumulate for after the one day. Merchants say that without snow, people don't spend as much over the holidays -- 'they're just not in the mood.' Again, this seems illogical <smile>. Perhaps they are not over-spending, or they are buying online and not at the mall? Much of the world manages Christmas without snow and even in the Maritimes, there is only a 50% chance of a white Christmas. To be honest, the day is Christmas regardless of the weather. It is so much more than frozen water on the ground, trees, cars, and such. Just something I'm trying to work through to understand it better.

There really is only one song that fits this little rant today <smile>. The song has been sung by many, including in a favourite Christmas movie of mine. The version I chose to share here today has a very different tempo than the movie version. Enjoy!

White Christmas -- The Drifters




No comments:

Post a Comment