Saturday 26 December 2015

Day 2 - 359 -- Boxing Day

Today is Boxing Day. This day began as the day servants and other workers received gifts from employers -- gifts in boxes. Sadly, like many other holidays it has become a day of excess and consumerism with Boxing Day sales now starting even before Christmas. Not all stores were open today, but will be open for the sales tomorrow. I dislike the crowds of people looking for a 'bargain' that is close to a 'steal' -- sometimes grabbing things out of the hands of others <sigh>. I've gone out on the 27th or 28th for necessities and have looked at the picked over piles of holiday items and have been known to take home an item or two mainly cards and wrapping. It seems that the day has moved from a day of giving to a day of avarice -- everything that yesterday did not stand for -- looking out for number one instead of caring for others.

I often feel that this day is a bit of a let down after all the scurrying about making ready for the one day celebration. The marketing hype that starts to build in October suddenly is over and can leave a lost feeling. I've often saved a gift to open on boxing day, just to help with that lack of direction. It does help. I spent the day cleaning and had planned to watch a movie or two. I did catch up on some recorded series -- The Doctor Who season finale and the Christmas special were particularly exciting, with unexpected twists and turns. <smile>  The exhaustion of the past weeks -- from work and holiday prep -- seems to have caught up to me. I felt I could sleep each time I sat down today. I'm hoping a few days of sleeping until I wake up instead of setting an alarm will help me to get myself back together for the next round known as the winter academic term <smile>.

For the selection today, the song title really doesn't reflect the origins of the day, though it might indicate the less than charitable behaviour amongst shoppers.<grin>  Enjoy!

The Boxer -- Simon and Garfunkel


No comments:

Post a Comment