Monday 11 January 2016

Day 3 - 11 -- Loss of an innovator

My day always begins with news and weather reports from morning television programs. Today was no different. There was difference on the first images I saw today, though. They were of Ziggy Stardust with no voice over for some time and then that dreaded announcement. David Bowie had passed away. I was familiar with his career and some of the songs from the different time periods. Even though I wasn't a major fan familiar with everything he'd ever done, I admired his style and ability to reinvent himself. He reminded me of my desire to 'do it all' and try all the different aspects of a career. Bowie made major contributions to the music of the time -- from glam rock to electronic to new wave to soul and many, many other genres. He was particularly gifted interpreting and innovating in these many musical styles. He was a singer, songwriter, musician, who played many different instruments, and also an actor and artist. Simply put -- he was a creative genius who saw fit to share his gifts with us all.

I chose two of his songs to share here today. Their lyrics seem a fitting send off for this man of vision. Enjoy!

Let's Dance -- David Bowie




Starman -- David Bowie


No comments:

Post a Comment