Sunday 17 January 2016

Day 3 - 17 -- Finding the Road Forward

The day was filled with activity, much of it being outside. There was a report that just outside of town 43 cm (~ 17 inches) of snow had fallen yesterday. It seemed that there was much more than a foot that had blanketed my yard. I shoveled the snow to make a walkway to the street and around the side of the house as well as the front porch and narrow walk there. After that 2 hour effort, I worked at writing a piece for an international newsletter. While writing, the backhoe came to clear out the shoulder high piles left by the street plough. Before I had a chance to get out to clear away the leftovers, the sidewalk plough made an appearance. Luckily it left very little to clear.

When getting out the front door, which took a bit of work, standing to survey the snow fall brought very dismal thoughts. I worked away at the piles and decided that I needed something to move me forward -- a type of encouragement. The playlist made for physio exercises fit the bill. Just the addition of music helped me move through the deep snows with a positive feeling. Generally the quiet of the town as everyone digs out is pleasant enough, but today just needed something else. Music helped me focus on what I enjoy about moving snow. This playlist brought to mind the suggestion made by one physio that I find someone to move snow for me this winter. She said it would cause pain, but when I asked, she noted that it wouldn't cause damage. I chose to try it to see what I could and couldn't do. With some practice, I have found a new rhythm and ability to move snow with a reasonable pace and minimal pain. I was commenting on the stubbornness of others the other day, and today I recognized the same streak in me <smile>. Refusing to let an injury hold me down, I have chosen to do what I can and shoveling seems a good strength building activity -- if I pay attention to ergonomics <smile>. I also was reminded when prepping lectures that shoveling snow uses a fair number of calories -- I wonder if that means I can eat a cookie or two or three. <giggle>

Lyrics from a song came to mind while outside today. It speaks to the refusal to give up and the need to find a positive road forward. The group is a wonderful mix of talents. Enjoy!

I won't back down -- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers



No comments:

Post a Comment