Wednesday 6 January 2016

Day 3 - 6 -- The story of a journey

Today is Orthodox Christmas eve -- or  'old' or 'Ukrainian' Christmas eve depending on your geographic and cultural locations. I admit that I've always found the story of the magi to be quite interesting. I have a decorator plate that depicts the three men travelling on a black horse, a camel and a white elephant, which relates to the names often given to the three being Balthazar (to represent Arabia), Melchior (to represent Persia) and Gaspar (to represent India). It is a wonderful folk art style painting that I do enjoy seeing at this time of year.  I also recall a poem introduced to me during high school literature class. It was written by t.s. eliot, titled The Journey of the Magi. This tells a less glamorous story than is often heard, and contains some wonderful imagery linking to the Easter story. I have felt the realism of this telling added something more to the story of three men following a star. You can read that poem here.

There seems to be only one song that deals with this part of the Christmas story -- well, one that I am aware of <smile>.  That is the one shared here today. This arrangement brings forth the middle ages tone of the song, though it was written in the mid-19th century. Enjoy!

We Three Kings -- Celtic Woman


No comments:

Post a Comment