Wednesday 13 January 2016

Day 3 - 13 -- Major Snow Removal

While we've had snow 3 or 4 times in the past weeks, with the warmer temperature and the wind and rain from Monday, most of the white stuff had disappeared by last evening. This was just before the next storm was expected. Overnight the next snow arrived. The porch rails, which serve as my snow measuring devices, held close to 20 cm (8 inches) when I looked out this morning. It was still falling lightly. I checked the university web site to find that there was a delayed opening until noon. My course was at 11:15, so that is the first snow day of the term for me. I shoveled the front porch and then a pathway to the street (about 100 feet) followed by a path around the side of the house to clear off the back porch. A call was placed to have the end of the driveway cleared by a plough -- the mid-calf deep slush would be much too difficult to move by hand. Weather reports foretold of a temperature drop by late afternoon, so once the driveway was cleared, I headed out again shovel in hand to clear the detritus left by the loader and to clear off the huge amount of snow on the car. If I didn't clear the car, it would freeze solid and create a several inches thick covering fully adhered to the car -- taking way to long to clear the windows and the roof would pose a potential hazard should it slide off along the way. So -- we're set for the early morning departure for work tomorrow.

While shoveling, I found it somewhat relaxing. I've decide this is due to the deep breathing that I do while pushing and lifting each partial shovel-full of snow -- exhaling with each push and lift sounds like I am lifting weights at the gym. As I began the job, it was very quiet with backup beepers in the distance. As time progressed, I heard heavy equipment clearing out behind the house and a few voices from the next street over that I assumed were students moving snow from their front doors and walkways. The puppy from next door was running excitedly through the snow -- the first major snow he's encountered in his puppy life. His owner called out to him several times to keep him close -- seems the little fellow's name is Boomer. <smile> The sun was behind heavy cloud cover by the time I began shoveling, but it reappeared with a clear blue sky before I had finished. The warmth on my back was pleasant and made me think that if I was to be out much longer, I'd need to change to a lighter coat. Temperatures were above zero during the outing. Since there has been few episodes of moving snow, I will have some sore muscles tomorrow, but the efforts seemed worthwhile.

The song for today notes that music can be a way to escape even a Canadian winter. Love this singer and this is from the album released last June. I've included a short background piece in which he explains the idea behind the song.  Enjoy!

SnowTime -- James Taylor -- Behind the Song



SnowTime -- James Taylor


No comments:

Post a Comment