Monday 25 January 2016

Day 3 - 25 -- A Day for a Celebrated Scot

Monday -- a day filled with tasks for the next work week with many interesting events in store. My office was less hectic now that project topics have been agreed upon. That left time to update some files and work on upcoming assignments. Today is also Robbie Burns Day -- a celebration of this Scottish poet's birth 257 years ago. Many of his poems were set to music -- one we likely all recognize is Auld Lang Syne. While a Burns Supper generally includes all manner of traditional items, tonight I chose to forego the haggis and chose turkey a la king with perfect light flaky biscuits and a veggie side of a ratatouille saute and bok choy. Granted, this is a rather eclectic mix but it was very tasty. My evening treat was trying one of the oatmeal bars -- not too bad -- chewy yet crunchy but could use a bit more cinnamon as that flavouring seems lost. Still it is not a 'once-r' as one of my friends terms recipes that don't need to be made a second time. My grandmother was more emphatic and in one of her cookbooks that I have, she simply wrote 'NO' in capital letters. Needless to say, I haven't ever tried those recipes <smile>.  So, I'll likely try the oatmeal bars again with a bit of tweaking with the cinnamon to determine if it is a keeper or not. They do have a quality that could lead someone to eat them rather quickly. Luckily, the recipe noted that they freeze well <grin>. A trip down the stairs to the deep freeze helps one be more mindful of food choices.

To celebrate Robbie Burns Day, since I live in the Highland Heart of Nova Scotia where Gaelic is a teachable subject of a Bachelor of Education degree, I chose this song to share today. And, I may even have a 'wee dram' while listening to this updated version of the traditional song. <smile> Enjoy!

comin' thro the rye -- The Real McKenzies

No comments:

Post a Comment