Monday 4 January 2016

Day 3 - 4 -- Sleepless night, Fatigued Day

Today went fairly well. The sun shone between episodic flurries,we got one of the laptops to work, and I managed to talk to two classes, though not likely as coherently as I'd wished. I did sleep poorly last night. Today was the first official day back to work since just before Christmas. Add to that the beginning of a new term,at 8 am no less,  and I was primed to sleep less than usual. I will admit to being rather fatigued right now and I hope to get to sleep earlier this evening so the morning alarm doesn't seem as improbable as it did today.

Researchers have found that Sunday brings increased anxiety levels for those who work Monday to Friday. Whenever I read of this finding, I wonder that there are so many people who find that work interferes with life. If we are to follow our passion, how can work become a four letter word -- one that brings trepidation and loathing?  How often have you heard, "do what you love", implying that it won't be work then. The pressures of doing something you enjoy can make it seem less enjoyable. The trick is to be able to find some quality leisure (READ: non-work) time to help with the 'work-life balance.' Granted, some vocations, since they really are more than jobs,, do mess with this balance. Perhaps if it is something that people find fun or interesting, the imbalance created by the massive hours of work can be justified -- or at least rationalized. More things to ponder if I find myself awake when I should be sleeping tonight. <smile>

A song from the dim distant past came to mind today. It was introduced to me long after it had been a hit and was included on a movie soundtrack.  It isn't anything with much depth, but my brain was rather tired for that today. Enjoy!

Tossing and Turning -- Bobby Lewis


No comments:

Post a Comment