Thursday 7 September 2017

Day 4 - 250 -- Beast in the Caribbean

I'll admit to being concerned about the latest major hurricane - Irma. Hearing of the near total devastation in small island nations seems surreal. Reports by people of cars flying above their heads just doesn't strike one as real. That the storm appears poised to continue its destruction in the Caribbean and Florida brings further anxiety. I fear for the people in those areas. Evacuations are hampered by a lack of gasoline for vehicles heading north in the long slow moving phalanx on the interstate.

As an introverted empath, stories of fear and devastation are felt keenly. I find myself imagining how I'd feel in a similar situation and ardently wishing I could do something to help. I discuss the impact of such storms on food supply chains in a fall course. Maybe by trying to help others understand the immediate and longer term economic consequences of natural and human-made disasters will lead to new solutions to such problems -- donate or volunteer for an NGO, or start an NGO to address a specific issue for future catastrophes.

Lyrics from a few songs went through my head today as I worked through what Irma had done and what it is still expected to do. I share one of those here along with wishes that all can find shelter before, during and after the passage of the storm. The version today brings a different vocalist from the singer-songwriter best associated with the song. The voices blend well to provide a wonderful cover of the original. Enjoy!

Shelter from the Storm -- Rodney Crowell & Emmylou Harris




No comments:

Post a Comment