Saturday 16 September 2017

Day 4 - 258 -- Power of Friendship

The day was sunny and warm -- not hot, but just right. By evening, the air had a crisp, autumn
feel. Classes and course meetings filled most of the day -- a day when lunch didn't occur until about 2:30 PM. That isn't my favourite type of day; I like to eat on a schedule. I just feel better then <smile>. While into the last meeting of the afternoon, a colleague asked us to join the group in the faculty lounge for a celebration -- an afternoon treat for my birthday! That made me smile. It was a lovely blueberry crisp with local berries -- not too sweet and very tasty. It was fun to take part of a Friday afternoon to chat with colleagues that I consider friends.

The evening involved a leisurely dinner with friends at a favourite restaurant. The menu changes regularly and has moved to mainly seafood. I chose a lobster risotto with grilled halibut. The risotto contained green peas and crunchy chopped celery. Very nice. We shared a bottle of a favourite red wine -- also very nice. I splurged and chose a pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. It was not a heavily spiced pumpkin filling but a subtle sweetness with a ginger cookie and nut crust. Marvelous.

After supper, I read e-mail and social media greetings and had a good long phone conversation with a friend living out west. I found the messages uplifting -- making me smile and some making me laugh. On reflection, I realized how lucky I am to have access to electronic devices to keep in touch with so many friends in many parts of the world. It is much quicker than before such devices existed. I do enjoy a real card and face-to-face conversations, but electronic communication beats nothing by a long shot. Even telephone conversations cost much less with the improved long distance plans. It can be reassuring to hear a voice instead of written or typed words. It makes me feel closer geographically. Regardless of the communication technology involved, friendship means when I need someone to talk to, they are there and when someone needs someone, I can listen with the best of them. <smile>

Lines from a lyric rattled around in my head, so I'll transfer them along to you from here tonight. It is from a long past group that launched several solo careers -- one very prominent career among these. Some of the costumes in this video may bring smiles -- it was a crazy fashion time. <grin> Enjoy!

I'll be There -- Jackson Five




No comments:

Post a Comment