Saturday 9 September 2017

Day 4 - 251 -- Unexpected Events

Today was a very full day -- from 10:30 to 5 it was a constant parade of meetings and classes. With little sleep last night due to disruptions from outside, I felt very tired. During the afternoon meeting, I had an odd experience. I realized a couple hours before the meeting that I might be on the up side of a migraine. During the meeting, I'd been asked a question about what I'd just said, as it hadn't made sense to others. I was trying to concentrate on what was being said to me when others began talking and laughing -- all I heard was a piercing high pitch and a lot of buzzing. I said that I couldn't hear twice and then I shouted it. A colleague and friend asked if I'd taken meds for the headache. I hadn't sat to eat lunch, when I usually would take the meds, since I'd had a bit of food here and there in the 5 minutes between places I needed to be. I left the meeting to drink, eat and take the drugs. Things improved over the next 30-45 minutes.

The extreme tiredness I'd felt was part of the early signs of a migraine. Had I realized this earlier in the day, maybe things wouldn't have gotten so bad. Phonophobia is not a usual part of a migraine for me -- I've felt that only a couple of times in my life. I do squint a lot, so am much more light sensitive during one of these events. I knew I needed to eat when I got home tonight, but had no appetite. I then realized I needed allergy nasal spray so headed out to the pharmacy for that. On the way home, I felt I could eat so picked up a pizza from the mobile wood-fired oven -- it was lovely. Hoping a good sleep might help things pass quickly.

Lyrics that came to mind today were the opening lines of a song form the '60s While this song has been linked with the Vietnam war protests, Steven Stills wrote this one after participating in the Sunset Strip riots that occurred in 1966 after an imposed curfew -- the early days of the counter-culture movement. The band performing here had a Canadian member -- one who has a star on Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto (along with Grammys, Junos, an Oscar nomination, and inductions into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- wow <smile>). The video is low quality in places, but the background photos are of events like the one that inspired the song, instead of the more common war imagery.  Enjoy!

For What It's Worth -- Buffalo Springfield




No comments:

Post a Comment