Sunday 24 September 2017

Day 4 - 267 -- Fiction to Real Life

This past week Space has been playing all Star Trek most of the time. As a fan, this doesn't bother me. It let me reacquaint myself with the series and the movies. I did not watch it 24/7 for any day, though. Binge watching isn't my favourite way to watch a series. I enjoy watching it one episode at a time with time between each one that allows me to ponder and think about things. So -- back to the extravaganza. There is a new series premiering tonight with two episodes not just one. For ST fans, this is epic <smile>.

I've enjoyed these series and many other science fiction programs since I was a kid. I've found it interesting that morality plays and examination of social issues could fit so easily into a fantasy with beings unknown to us. SciFi involves imagination to construct worlds vastly different from our own -- yet oddly familiar at the same time. I've enjoyed how such stories present otherness -- often as something accepted and not fully seen as 'other.' What an amazing presentation of tolerance -- though there are times when it is the crux of a conflict of some sort.

Technology inspired by imagination of Star Trek writers and directors decades back exists today. The use of cell phones (smart phones) as multi-media devices seemed unbelievable until the past couple of decades. Tablets that allow us to hold them in our hands and port them about wherever we go were seen on the screen long before they were being thought of in tech sectors -- even before desk tops arrived in homes. Imagine a computer shrunk down from those that filled rooms just to run simple computations to something the size of a smart phone. Such musing seems a bit arcane to my students, yet for those of us whose first desktop computer didn't have a hard drive, this is truly amazing. Even medical technology of giving inoculations through clothing with air-pressure instead of needles seemed far fetched, yet we have such devices in daily use now.

So -- today I will share a song that ST geeks might instantly place into the correct ST movie <smile>.  I have taken one liberty here by sharing a version from a favourite band rather than the original from Roy Orbison. I love them both, but chose the group version to share today. Enjoy!

Ooby Dooby -- Creedence Clearwater Revival


No comments:

Post a Comment