Sunday 10 September 2017

Day 4 - 253 -- Failed Marketing

A rather calm Sunday almost over. Headache with some pain today, but less tiredness -- an odd trade-off, but a common one for me. I did a quick grocery run to pick up a few items needed now. The store is one that I often complain about. A year or so ago, they began sending email messages each week with promotions designed just for me -- ones that differ from the weekly flyer. As a customer, I can choose to load any of these offers directly to my customer loyalty card. Over the past month, I have done this only to find that the items I purchase to get points don't actually go through as bonus offers. The first time, I went back to the store and explained the error -- they have a 'make it right' key on the register so they can provide the points. The cashier went to check the shelf tagging and told me I needed to buy 2 items for the points. I responded that the offer designed just for me said I only needed to buy one item for the points. I was told to call another company (no contact information provided to me) as the store company didn't really have anything to do with those offers -- this despite the offers coming from their company email server <sigh>. I returned the item. Fast forward to 2 weeks later -- again no points provided for the item. Here it seems I was to buy a 2 lb bag of onions for the points when all they had in the store were bulk or 5 lb bags. Easy way around that one for them. I returned the onions. Today I purchased 3 items that were on my list of items needed for the kitchen. Only 2 of them provided the points. I went to the recycle bag and fished out the printed version of the offer (had to tape it together). Yes -- I did buy the right item but did not get any points. Guess where I will stop on my way into work tomorrow. I do believe that I will stop shopping there. We only have two choices in town, but this one has stomped on my last nerve.

I realize this is a marketing ploy to get me to buy things that I bought last week. I don't buy things just for points if there is no need for them at home. A 10-lb bag of pet food will last longer than a week, so I'm not buying one again just to get the points. Often things that provide bonus points are not on sale and the price may even be higher than regular price. I don't buy those either. There are about half a dozen items that I buy from this store once or twice a year as their store brand item is different than items elsewhere in town. I will make my frustration about the customer loyalty system known to the store manager if the cashier will get someone for me, and to the head office of the company. Loyalty is a reciprocal arrangement and they are not holding up their end.  I'm sure my not shopping there is of little consequence to their bottom line, but that just isn't good customer service. Making two trips to the store each week is silly and costs money -- especially with gas prices soaring right now. I just hope that the customer service desk isn't staffed by a very young new staff member who didn't utter a word the whole time I was there last week -- no hello, no I'll check for you, no nothing. That is not the person to have in that job when people are looking for solutions. I should not have to tell the staff what their store policy is nor should I have to outline federal regulations governing the issue.

A song title came to mind today, though the lyrics show the story from the other side -- the difficulty of serving the public.  It is a catchy melody with fun internal rhyming. The plan for tomorrow does not include use of some of the words referred to here <smile>.   Enjoy!

Keep the Customer Satisfied -- Simon and Garfunkel


No comments:

Post a Comment