Wednesday 27 September 2017

Day 4 - 270 -- Thinking Cajun

Another long and very full work day is over. It all begins again tomorrow and again Friday. Not having time to eat lunch due to meetings, student consultations and classes can be a major challenge. I've tried to hold onto 15 minutes most days, but some days that much time isn't available. While students can eat during class time, it is difficult to lecture and eat at the same time <grin>. Once this week is over, things should improve. So -- just two days to get through.

I heard a song last night that caught my attention and has had me thinking of yummy cajun food. I'd love to be able to get an import from Petunia's or Dooky Chase in New Orleans or even NOLA in Pittsburgh. It is a bit warm to cook in my kitchen right now. That, too, will change soon. Making a dry roux makes the place a bit warm <smile>. My red beans are close to what I've eaten in New Orleans, getting the roux dark enough for a tasty gumbo can be a bit tricky. So, that one doesn't taste quite as I recall it -- respectable, but not spot on. Just needs more practice. I'll share the song from last night. Enjoy!

I will play for gumbo -- Jimmy Buffett


No comments:

Post a Comment