Tuesday 5 February 2019

Day 6 - 36 -- Back in Time

I spent most of the day preparing a presentation about an historical research project. This project centres on the changes in health policy that began in the mid-19th century. Setting my brain to understand the ideas and social mores of the time becomes key to making sense of it all. So -- today I was living in Victorian London -- at least in my mind <smile>. Gaining an appreciation of the social beliefs and scientific constructs of the day is fascinating. Over the weekend I watched a television drama that took place in 1854 in London. There was no mention of the date, but when I began recognizing characters before they were introduced by name, I realized that I have gained some understanding of the major players. Two of these characters championed major changes in public health approaches during a time when these were not well received by bureaucrats, general public or other health professionals. They began a conversation that lasted decades -- at which points big changes began to appear.

I'm sure the people at the centre of a process designed to effect change must feel alone and defeated at times. Yet, their firm belief that a change is necessary and will benefit society keeps them advocating for something new. Without such individuals leading the way, we might remain at the point of  "we've always done it this way". Perhaps the time it takes to change such beliefs and values lies in the disruption of a change process -- something that brings with it fear, anger, anxiety. Rocking the boat doesn't work for everyone in the boat or on the shore. The more entrenched the process at the crux of a change, the longer such a change may take. Hmmm

The selection for the day deals with time travel, which is how I felt today. This song is wonderful musically and lyrically. Enjoy!

Traveller in Time -- Uriah Heep

No comments:

Post a Comment