Sunday 24 February 2019

Day 6 - 54 -- Listening to the Blues

The day was sunny but cold. I was inside doing those weekly household chores -- far from my favourite activity <smile>. This evening I attended a fund raising event for the summer theatre festival. The Whiskey Smoke Blues Band treated us to an evening of Motown and other blues. This group comprises five talented members -- three professors (lead guitar, keyboards, and a multi-instrumentalist) along with a bassist and drummer. Three of these men provide vocals, however this night one had a throat infection, so two carried the load well. A jazz saxophonist and two backup singers completed the performers. The show was sold out -- as was the one a year ago by this same group. The marvelous guitar, keyboard and harmonica solos met with major applause. All faces left smiling. Four of us headed to a friend's place for wine and conversation. I got home at 1 AM! I don't recall the last time that happened <grin>.  (so this is late being posted)

I'd been feeling sad most of the day, and hearing the blues songs seemed to help so much. Perhaps this music acted as a celebration of the life of the acquaintance lost this week. He ended his career as a blues artist. Thinking of that made the show much more personal for me. Again, this showed me the power of music -- to relax, to soothe and to heal.

Based on my thoughts about the wonderful music from the show, I chose to share with you the opening number for the evening event. The lyrics sound very personal -- which may have helped lead me down that pathway of pondering. This was used in the blog 46 days ago, but it fit so well today, that I will use it again. Enjoy!

Celebration -- Kool and the Gang


No comments:

Post a Comment