Wednesday 13 February 2019

Day 6 - 44 -- Memories from Music

Music class tonight dealt with the overview of changes in popular music from the 1970s. We first watched a video montage from Woodstock to wrap up the 1960s. In my head these two were linked. I listened to the Woodstock album in the years after the actual event and when I was a bit older. The performances from Woodstock brought memories. Vivid memories seem to be tied to music or individual songs bringing one to a specific past time and place. The visions can be so real you feel you could touch them. On the other hand, another performance gave me a better understanding of the social commentary that was Jimi Hendrix's rendition of the US national anthem. I believe much of that was lost on me years ago -- his virtuosity with the guitar sound fit well with the lyrics of the song and an anti-war sentiment. I did smile when this led directly into "Purple Haze."

One performance made me recall evening parties in a friend's basement. This was one of the more vivid memories. While at Woodstock, this band played their entire rock opera -- a concept album for sure. That music definitely took me back. I share one of the songs from this musical or opera style story. The whole thing is amazing, so I do recommend carving out some time and just listening to the whole rather than the bits and pieces that may be more recognizable. Enjoy!

Go to the Mirror! -- The Who (from Tommy)


No comments:

Post a Comment