Sunday 10 February 2019

Day 6 - 41 -- Disrupted Sleep Prevails

Wind howls outside still. The low over Labrador is stalled and we should have at least one more day of this craziness. I live in a lower area than campus, which lies on a hilltop. I chose to go in today to get some printing done for work at home and midterm studying early this week. A large branch greeted me on the front porch as I left the house. I'd heard a few noises through the night that told me things were hitting the house. Another longer branch lie below the front window. Luckily, no glass broken at this point. Shingles look intact, too. Wind speeds are close to 40+km/hr sustained with gusts in 66-75 range. Once on campus, traversing the parking lot was more difficult that getting to the car at home. The wind blew me off my planned track along the sidewalk as it tried fervently to blow off my toque and sunglasses. Yes, the sun was shining and the sky was mainly blue.

The volume of the wind and the intermittent louder gusts makes sleeping difficult. Three nights in a row is uncommon. Luckily, no precipitation has arrived during this wind storm. If there were snow, it would pack solid in drifts -- very difficult to move. I've not slept well and now feel extra-weary.  There may not be much respite before the expected snow fall by mid-week. This remains much less problematic than weather events elsewhere in the country. Family and friends in western Canada are dealing with extreme cold weather and Vancouver Island has had far more snow than usually seen in a winter. There were weather advisories in all provinces and one territory over the past two days. That is unusual given the breadth of the nation.

Given the need for sleep, I was thinking of a lullaby when a friend on social media shared a wonderful video. I've loved this melody since I first heard it. This cover is fantastic. The melody may sound a bit mournful, but it is so relaxing and simply beautiful. Enjoy!

Sleepwalk -- Larkin Poe  (cover of Santo and Johnny) 

No comments:

Post a Comment