Saturday 9 February 2019

Day 6 - 38 -- Retirement Reflections

Over the past five months, I've been pondering the nature of retirement. I've found it a major adjustment -- physically and mentally. While I've found a type of rhythm, the comfort level doesn't exist fully yet. To be frank, describing the experience has been difficult. That does not mean it has been negative -- just very different from anything I've encountered. When I ask people about retirement, they speak about their desire to not be at work, yet few outline what else they plan to do -- well at least in the long term.

Have I learned anything along the beginning of this part of the journey? Perhaps retirement is what you make it. Adjustment takes time as would any major life change. Practicing kindness towards oneself is important. Patience may be a key to that kindness. I've found myself 'in the moment' more often than before. Dare I say it, I find myself smiling a bit more -- something that I'd noticed among other retirees over the years. Most of all, the mythology of retirement in all its haze and neomysticism appears to be something deeply personal and individual. Intriguing.

A song by a band that produced a single, highly rated album is shared today. The poetic lyrics describe being on the brink of something positive. This supergroup comprised well known talented artists with solo careers or who were part of other bands. The band name made me smile as it may be the way one needs to approach retirement. <smile>. Enjoy!

Sea of Joy -- Blind Faith (Eric Clapton [Cream], Ginger Baker [Cream], Steve Winwood [Traffic AND Spencer Davis Group] and Ric Grech [Family])


No comments:

Post a Comment