Sunday 24 February 2019

Day 6 - 55 -- Encountering seering pain

Frustration followed by pain -- pain that made me cry. That was my shopping experience today. In a planned trip to the grocery store, I was frustrated with the clerk who put heavy things on squishable things -- but that was a fleeting emotion. Walking back to the car with the sun in my eyes, I navigated the sidewalk ramp to return to the parking lot. The cart came to a dead stop and then tipped forward depositing my packed bags all over the pavement. I swore - silently -- though anyone with lip-reading abilities would know the utterance. I picked up the bags and put a couple of items back in bags. As I began walking to the car, I became aware of a searing pain on both shins. The pain made breathing difficult. I got the bags in the car and then paused to look. I expected blood, but no skin breaks were present. There were two decided lumps, though. The right was the size of a pea and the left was similar to a robin's egg. I put the cart back in the corral and drove home. There were tears along the way. I got the bags into the house and found ice packs. I sat with one pack alternating on left and right legs. Several hours have passed and things don't throb as badly, but there will be ugly marks there tomorrow -- beyond the bluish marks that were there instantly. My right arm and shoulder are showing some signs of strain now -- must be from the recoil of the abrupt stopping of the cart. <sigh>

Needless to say the plans for the day changed. I'd hoped to get some work done around the house, but found myself sitting with my legs elevated for most of the afternoon. Interesting that this showed again, how life can change in an instant. While my experience was jarring and painful, it wasn't life changing -- just day changing. We can be merrily going along minding our own business and encounter something akin to an attack -- something we have no control over. No matter how careful we try to be accidents will happen. I probably should have gone back into the store to report the incident, but I hurt so much I just needed to hide and cry. I may chat with them later, so they can fill the hole in the pavement right by the sidewalk so this won't happen to anyone else.

The song that came to mind made me laugh -- something I needed while icing the lumps. I hope it does the same for you. Enjoy!

Legs -- ZZ Top


No comments:

Post a Comment