Thursday 14 February 2019

Day 6 - 45 -- Tripping Down the Walkway

Yesterday a storm passed by quickly. It left 6-8 inches of snow. As I was pushing a path to the street, ice pellets hit my coat making a light scratching noise. The light snow was moved readily. I then headed out to class for the evening. On my way back into the yard, I worked to avoid the sheet of ice that was under the new snow. Two areas of the driveway contain ice from the last rain storm. Avoiding these required me to step off the shoveled pathway onto the lawn. Doing this made me step around the old rail ties that create a border between the driveway and the lawn. Now, there was a lot of snow covering the ties, so I was picking my way through the three of them when my toe caught the edge of one of these. Next think I knew I landed on my knees and right hand as my left hand slid through the snow filling my sleeve with the cold white stuff. No damage to me and it was my fault for doing this without using the flashlight I carry in my coat pocket. So -- the first fall of the seaon is behind me and I hope it is the only one I encounter.

This morning, I went out to clear behind the car and the end of the drive with the stuff from the street plow. I got most of it moved but left the very end of the drive until tonight. The snow was heavier -- more packed than wet -- from the ice pellets last night. This made the work harder and more tiring. Waiting to finish tonight made sense. I wanted it moved before the hard freeze overnight. Forecasts note that in two days we'll have rain and above freezing temperatures. Then it will freeze quickly again. The pattern demonstrates the maritime winter well. We get caught in a cycle. Our snow fall from this storm was far less than seen north and west of here, so this isn't a complaint only a statement of fact. Winter will be over in a few weeks and the transition of spring will begin.

A song came to mind today as I was walking around campus. It made me smile. The chorus lyrics may represent how my experience relates to winter <smile>. I love this singer-songwriter's voice and style -- jazz rock, blues rock or blue-eyed soul -- or a combo thereof. Enjoy!

Still Falling for You -- Boz Scaggs


No comments:

Post a Comment