Thursday 28 February 2019

Day 6 - 58 -- Early Mash-ups

The day brought two meetings and a night class. I walked to the office, out to meetings and home from class. The wind was wicked with gust that impeded one's progress against it. I expect many people felt like mimes walking against the wind today. Temperatures were very cold and the wind made things bitter. By evening, the winds were more manageable -- cold, but not pushing me off my  intended path. I shoveled snow -- again -- when I got home. It was light to move. I dressed for the outdoor weather and still have a couple further layers that I'd wear when living on the prairies. In fact, there is a coat that I have never worn in the maritimes.

In class this evening we began discussing progressive (prog) rock, which treated rock as art rather than commerce -- hence the term art rock. One concept that intrigued me was the use of classical music played as rock music -- as done by Emerson Lake and Palmer -- or the use of classical styles within rock -- like heard in Bohemian Rhapsody. Other forms of prog rock used jazz, ethnic or traditional folk music as major influences on song writing. Songs became longer than the usual 3-4 minute radio play length. Yet, many of these longer formats received extensive radio play despite the length. Many bands ventured into this genre while others 'dabbled' in it. Experimentation and use of different instruments than drums, keyboards and guitars led to some interesting sounds and some that were more difficult for listeners. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea <smile>. Which bands walked this road? Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis (the early days), King Crimson and Rush are just a few band that focused on prog rock. The genre hit a zenith in the 1970s, but can still be found.

Tonight I share a song from an early group in the prog rock scene -- in the 1960s as groups. This song falls into the symphonic rock sub-genre. Use of the mellotron, an electro-mechanical keyboard that was used for other prog rock stylings, including the Beatles and Genesis. In this selection, the instrument was used to produce a synthesized orchestral sound. I've enjoyed the classical style of this song. Now I can deconstruct that a bit more and understand why I found it so appealing. <smile> Enjoy!

Knights in White Satin -- The Moody Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment