Sunday 8 March 2020

Day 7 - 66 -- Friday Freedom

The day started earlier than my brain wanted it to -- only 4 and bit hours of sleep. Just one of those nights. The lecture I gave went well, though longer than planned as I was a bit tangential -- a focus thing when tired, I guess <smile>. All went well and some great conversations and thoughts shared by students. The afternoon seemed to drag, but I managed to complete some of the key parts of documentation for my annual professional registration and license renewal. Just a few things to polish and that will be on its way.

On the way home from campus, I met with some friends for a beverage and some supper. It was enjoyable -- something we do often on Fridays. This allows time to decompress a bit from a busy week. It is eagerly anticipated throughout some weeks more than others <smile>. Seeing people outside of the work setting helps us to see each other as whole people and friends and not only coworkers. Knowing that there will be two days without major scheduled items -- well not the specific time scheduling -- can make one feel a sense of freedom from the workplace routine. Talking about weekend plans also helps with the transition away from some work tasks. Granted, as academics there are always work items that enter the weekend times, but it a different rhythm exists -- pressure is present but at a different intensity. Sadly I found that by Sunday afternoon, the work week tension began to resettle, which makes the Friday time taken from the work week all the more justified. <smile>

Lyrics from a song came to mind as I thought through the blog topic today. It was the first song recorded (and the second single release) by the first rock supergroup -- a group where each member has had a successful career either solo or with other successful groups. The vocal intro is unique and amazing. So, while digging for a video of this, I found myself down a Youtube rabbit hole and again was struck by an amazing guitar intro for another song by a second group -- one stated to have formed at the recording of George Harrison's first album, All Things Must Pass. Enjoy!

I Feel Free -- Cream



Layla -- Derek and the Dominos


No comments:

Post a Comment