Saturday 14 March 2020

Day 7 - 72 -- Self Worth

The day brought more virus news -- only the beginning, I'm sure. A friend and I attended a play in the evening. The theatre was fairly empty so social distancing was doable.. The production was for international women's week -- a play about sexting and adolescent fallout, including the othering by  high school girls -- "mean girls."  The work needed was apparent for the 10 players all on stage for the full 90 minutes without intermission. The group was between 19 and 30 years old. They did an exceptional job, leaving us with much to think about.  Tears entered my eyes during one scene of  a group discussion about body image issues -- which parts each girl hated the most and why. That has always struck me as so very sad that society drills this norm into women and girls. I've had to deal with it as a professional very often. It has never gotten easier.

I share a song that speaks to some of the themes from the play tonight. Enjoy!

Video -- India Arie




No comments:

Post a Comment