Saturday 14 March 2020

Day 7 - 74 -- Need to be Home

Campus emergency alert system notified me this afternoon of the suspension of classes next week, which will give faculty and staff time to set up alternative ways to complete the term and exams. Classes will resume online the week of March 23. Students able to travel home were encouraged to do so, while those who cannot will remain in residence. Other excitement in the day came from the roving gangs of students going from one house party to another all in the name of St. Patrick. Those on my street are still up to this -- the one house that has been going since supper last night <sigh>. So much for maintaining social distance.

One thing that the situation brings forward is my need to contact a number of people. I didn't send cards this December nor did I send the annual summary via e-mail. I had thought of doing this with the spring, so now may be the best time to get that underway. I expect this will be a combination of electronic, telephone and regular mail communications. There are a number of other things I can do around the house, so I shouldn't get bored, just a bit lonely at times with the lack of human interactions.

I've noted the need to hunker down and ride this out at home and the desire to be with others -- a conundrum for certain. The song chosen for today does speak to the feeling of wanting 'home' -- something that means many things to each of us. May you find that peace of home in the coming days. Enjoy!

Homeward Bound -- Simon and Garfunkel




No comments:

Post a Comment