Saturday 28 March 2020

Day 7 - 88 -- Me and the Night Visitors

Today brought the first online grocery experience. The young woman placed the bags into the trunk. Their text message noted that not all items could be included nore were there substitutes for a bunch of things. Many things on the list were available, but some were not, such as flour, yeast, buns, yogurt, cheese, and dryer sheets -- an odd mixture of things for certain. But with the other items in the bags, cooking will still happen. I do miss being in the store and finding just what I need and want. Someday soon, I may be able to do this. I believe I will stick with the online ordering for now, though. It is handy.

Last evening brought some interesting discoveries. I've been hearing some noise outside on some nights -- sounds like someone is close to the side of the house. Tonight this became much louder. I looked out the windows and even opened the front door to try to see what I could. Something did run past the porch, but I couldn't tell what it was. After another large banging noise that made the furry one poof a bit and stare at the front door, I looked out the window. There clear as day was  a deer, who ran away as I tapped on the window. Today I wandered the yard following the hoof prints in the snow. Around the yew trees were trampled areas with the most sheltered of the two very trampled and signs of two if not three creature who had been chowing down on these lovely trees on either side of the front of the house. They are not quiet eaters either lots of hitting the side of the house. All of this occurred between 12 and 4 AM. So, they had a party and sadly the trees were the party snacks. <sigh>. I may have some chicken wire in the basement that could be wrapped around the the greener parts of the branches in hopes of discouraging the party goers. Not really sure what else can be done. The first time I've had deer in the yard in my entire life happened briefly in early January, but no signs seen since then.

A concert by a Canadian band had an improvised 'song' with some story telling. I chose to share that here since it deals with the same mammals I encountered last night. Enjoy!

stage banter and improv 'Oh, Deer' -- Barenaked Ladies






No comments:

Post a Comment