Tuesday 5 August 2014

Day 217 - learning new tricks

Felt like I was spinning in circles today. Lots of work to do so I can leave things behind for a short vacation. Yet the things on my list didn't seem to get done as I worked on things for others. Now, those other things were things I'd have to do eventually, but they fell onto the desk today not next month <smile>.

Maybe my problems lie in my 'to do' list. I have things that I want to complete on that list. Other things are on my larger task radar, but not on the list for this week. Seeing these tasks as intrusions on my list seems to be my difficulty. I often feel like I become unfocused and run about like a kitten from one shiny thing to the next, never focussing on what I had intended to do. There are a few things I could reflect on to try to improve similar situations. If something can wait until tomorrow when it arrives unannounced, I should move it to the list for tomorrow and work at not feeling pressured to deal with the new item as soon as it arrives.  Also, if something must be completed now that was not on my list for the day, I should add it to the list. Then when I see the list at the end of the day, I'll have some things checked off instead of seeing the list as an indication that I didn't get to anything I needed to do. Wow -- neither of this will be easy. Most things on that list are 'me' centred tasks rather than externally centred tasks. Learning to see things in a more positive way than 'intrusions' will take a lot of work.

So -- a song for this? Luckily, a friend shared a wonderful song yesterday that I thought of again this evening. The singer-songwriter is a great young talent from the UK. The irreverent title makes me smile and I liked the positive thought that an old dog may still learn new tricks <grin>. Enjoy!

Two Fingers -- Jake Bugg




No comments:

Post a Comment