Monday 25 August 2014

Day 237 -- Living in the Grey Zone

I heard a song this morning that made me think about the songs I've  posted here and other songs, in general. Each song I've posted says something to me, often something that may not have been the intended message. That is the joy of communications, though there are days when it is the heart of frustration, too <smile>. We each hear something that makes sense to us based on our unique experiences in life. This made me think of a conversation I've had many times. We do not live in a black and white dichotomized world. We live in the grey zone. There is no single truth. Wow -- did she say that? <g>  That is just the postmodernist in me coming through.

Communication is an art, filled with nuances. I can think of many times where what I meant and said was interpreted in a way that I'd never imagined. Then comes that famous phrase, "but you said . . . ."  <sigh>.  It isn't that people aren't listening, it is that the picture in their head is different than the one in mine. Those pictures help make sense of what we hear.

The song that began my thinking today notes the many stories being communicated through lyrics. It is wonderful that the singer is a Canadian country artist, too. Enjoy!

Some Songs -- Terri Clark


No comments:

Post a Comment