Saturday 9 August 2014

Day 221 -- poor customer service practices

I chose to run up to a store for a few grocery items and then a stop at another store for a couple other things. The second stop surprised me when I saw contact lens solution at a price that was $5-6 cheaper than a major grocery chain or a major drugstore chain -- so $13.92 instead of either $19.99 or 18.99. I had a coupon for $2 -- something I rarely use since most things coupons are for are not the brands or even items that I purchase. So -- with the coupon the box of two bottles of solution would be about the cost of a single bottle. Cool. Who doesn't love a bargain?

When I got home, I was reviewing the register tapes as I usually do -- And there will come a day when I start doing this at the store or in the parking lot <smile>. Well -- the register had charged me $15.92 instead of $13.92. Another trip up to the store -- good that I live in a small town <smile>. The Customer Service person was very pleasant. We had to send someone to check the shelf tagging. Then had to call a manager to figure out how to do a refund with a coupon. Then had to call another manager for something else. And one more time calling someone else for an over-ride. I wasn't in a hurry so it was fine and there was no one in line behind me on a Saturday night. The clerk explained to me that they would refund what I'd paid and then resell the box to me at the shelf price. I may have gasped or at least gaped. I managed to ask about the scanning code of practice -- a piece of national legislation. I was told that if I asked  they would provide a product for free up to $10, but the customer has to ask. I have never encountered such a sneaky company policy that seems to fly in the face of the spirit of the Code, and I said so. Not that the clerk could do much other than mention it to their manager. So -- in the end, I paid $1.92 for the box. When things have been way off at other stores, I have received things for free even without asking. So, I'm still a bit flummoxed by this multi-national's practice of trying to make more money than they should. I'm tempted to go up to see if the thing scans correctly next week -- to see if they really quickly rectified the discrepancy between the shelf and the cash desk prices. I'm not convinced that they will do anything -- and would they give me the next box for the same price as today when it again was their error? Frustrating being a consumer some days.

To point out the greed in the practice of trying to fleece customers, I've chosen a song that describes the evils of money. Enjoy!

Money -- Pink Floyd


No comments:

Post a Comment