Wednesday 6 August 2014

Day 218 -- A stressful start to the day

This morning began abruptly. From a sound sleep, I woke thinking it must be time to get up soon. Half asleep still, I looked at the TV -- my alarm with the timer set feature -- and saw a little green light in the top right corner of the screen. This is not common. I hunted for my glasses and they weren't on the bedside table, so I got up and moved closer to the screen only to see that the green light was the word 'line'. Now I was fully awake. This meant the alarm did go off -- as in the TV did come on, but was set to the external input 'channel' rather than the news I usually awake to. I quickly checked the time and the screen told me it was 9:45 AM!! I'm sure I said something inappropriate and rushed to wash my face and get dressed. I was expecting a delivery at 10 AM and didn't want to greet strangers in my pjs. I moved on to making breakfast and as I began to eat -- it was now 10:10 AM -- I wondered why there had been no phone call telling me the truck was on its way to the house. I checked the schedule I keep in my briefcase -- the delivery was scheduled for 10 AM on Thursday -- today is only Wednesday. <sigh>. I slowed my pace slightly but not too much as I had a meeting at 11 AM in the office.

The remainder of the day seemed a bit off kilter. I hit all the meetings and even managed to make some sense when I spoke and then worked on course prep for September. I still felt like I had forgotten something or something was looming outside my peripheral vision -- just waiting for me to notice. To the best of my knowledge, I have not forgotten anything important, just had a very rough start to the day that messed with the usual rhythms. I have reset the alarm for tomorrow to ensure that I am up much more than 15 minutes before the delivery AND that the channel is set correctly along with the time. Hoping for a smoother day.

A couple songs rattled around in my head today, but only one fits the feeling of the day best. The video is a bit out of sync for this one, but the lyrics tell of a stressful waking. I like the use of the longer phrasing that makes it seem like the singers may run out of breath -- it adds to the anxiety of the situation. Enjoy!

Wake up Little Suzie -- The Everly Brothers


No comments:

Post a Comment