Sunday 24 August 2014

Day 236 -- travelling through time

Travelling -- something I've always enjoyed. Today I revisited a few trips while looking through the photos taken. What fun to see places and people and bring to mind the conversations, feelings and laughter. Whether close to home or far afield, all places have left their imprint on me. I am changed from the visits and understand better myself and the world in which I live. I find travelling exciting, but it is also difficult to leave home and its comforts. It is an interesting mixture of feelings.

I have enjoyed many places I've visited and would happily return to them for another visit. Yet, the list of places I wish to visit is lengthy. What entices me? I love history and find historical and cultural sites very appealing. Walking in the footsteps of others brings visceral feelings of amazement and wonder -- whether they were famous or unknown persons. The kitchens that cooked for Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, the hotel where the Beatles stayed on their first trip to the US, the battlefield where the British defeated the French for the beginning of a new nation. So many wonderful pieces of history that become more real for me.

As the season changes, the wanderlust seems to grow, though this could be due to an urge to avoid the frenetic aspects  of the beginning of term. <smile> Settling on a song for today brought many snippets of lyrics to mind. This song seemed best for the thoughts of today, though, travel as a metaphor for life and travel for personal growth. Enjoy!

Life is a Highway -- Tom Cochrane


No comments:

Post a Comment