Sunday 5 July 2015

Day 2 - 185 -- Food and Memory

"Food is memories." This idea was stated several time throughout the film "The Hundred Foot Journey."  It made me think of the connections that we have with and through food. Researchers have used a life course method to determine how food choices change over a lifetime. Participants are asked to map the main life events over a number of years and then are asked to think of how these events affected food choice behaviours -- or if they did at all.  These memory anchors help us to recall more effectively the mundane aspects of our days. Not that I believe food intake to be mundane, but it often becomes routine. We may not recognize the small changes  in our food choices without assistance and context.

Food can also trigger memories. Meat loaf, apple crisp (topped with brown sugar and butter mixture), and a noodle casserole bring back memories of youth and family meals. Fresh white rolls take me to my grandmother's kitchen every time. Thai green curry with fragrant rice reminds me of the meal we had in Chiang Mai -- my one cup bowl of curry had one-quarter cup of fresh green chilies, which I did not consume <smile>. A mai tai can take me to Waikiki Beach where friends and I watched the sunset over the ocean. So food can bring on memories and memories of life events can bring memories of food. Interesting <smile>.

"The Hundred Foot Journey' contained many themes, but the acceptance of difference seemed prominent. This led to the mixing of Indian and French food traditions. I've chosen two selections to share today. The first is from the movie. It was part of the original score and played over the final credits. Its fusion style mirrored that seen in the story. The second selection deals with memories in a tongue-in-cheek manner. Enjoy!

Afreen -- Hakash Aziz (by A.R. Rahman)


When We was Fab -- George Harrison


No comments:

Post a Comment