Monday 27 July 2015

Day 2 - 205 -- Food and Memory

Today brought with it some wonderful food experiences. For lunch I ended up at a New Orleans style food restaurant. Amazing! The gumbo was smoky and spicy with fantastic Andouille sausage. It was just what I recalled from my visits to New Orleans. I paired it with a half sandwich of pulled pork with a hickory apple barbecue sauce -- messy but great textures and flavours. It was a festival for the taste buds. For supper a colleague and I went to an Italian restaurant where I had a lovely spaghetti with pesto, olive oil and amazing shrimp. It was a great ending to a busy day.

I've always found it interesting that food flavours and odours can bring such memories. The gumbo today took me back to my visits and food experiences from years back. It is a form of comfort food, it seems. The emotions that the food brought forth surprised me -- they were happy, contented, pleasant feelings -- I was in a world of my own <smile>

The song today brings with it thoughts of the wonderful city from which these foods arose. The song tells of the colours of the city. Enjoy!

Crescent City -- Lucinda Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment