Monday 15 February 2016

Day 3 - 46 -- Sunshine in a big White World

It was a cold day again, but I felt the need to leave the house for a while. So, I headed out to shovel some snow and clear off the car. There is still a pile at the end of the driveway consisting of large chunks of ice -- like miniature boulders that require two hands to lift and heft. I'll get to the remainder of that tomorrow. In the meantime, a large truck from next door has backed in and out a couple times so there may be less shoveling than before -- we'll see.

The time outdoors was filled with interesting events. A single crow was calling from the top of the tree above the car. He was then joined by a second crow for a few minutes before they flew off together. As I moved further towards the street, a white balloon bounced down the sidewalk -- pausing to roll and bounce around my feet. It moved further down the hill and then came back up to check in with me again before heading off down hill. A minute or two later, it was not visible anywhere -- rather a surreal few moments. The sun was strong and almost blinding even with my sunglasses on it made my eyes water. The world is very white -- only the crows, car, and trees were dark. Even the sky seemed to be a paler blue colour complete with a white moon high above. The snow piles are tall -- the walkway is about hip deep and around the car and end of driveway the piles are above my shoulders. It makes moving the heavier ice and wet snow trickier when I either have to lift it above my shoulders or walk several steps to a shorter pile on the lawn. Apparently there is warmer weather on the way complete with rain, which is likely to change all the snow banks to glacial ice.

The amazing sunlight today made everything sparkle. The lyrics for the selection of the day discuss the many aspects of sunshine. It is one that I've enjoyed since it first appeared on the scene and the singer is one that I loved to listen to then and now. Enjoy!

Sunshine on my shoulders -- John Denver


No comments:

Post a Comment