Monday 29 February 2016

Day 3 - 60 -- Finding Calm in a Storm

A very early morning again today. Being up and 'on' for a lecture at 8:15 AM is never my favourite time, but when exhaustion is present even before the beginning of the week, that 6:15 AM alarm wake up can be particularly jarring. The day began mild and warmed well by lunch time. I walked out to drop off papers and pick up others when I encountered the wind. Looking out the window things had looked sunny and pleasant. While the temperature was warm, there was a strong southerly wind -- like gale force strong. It blew me off the sidewalk into a muddy patch where the lawn used to be before the sidewalk plow had miscalculated where the walkway was after one of the enormous snow falls of the past month or so.

It has been a while since I've been blown off course -- at least physically. Maritime winds are different than prairie winds. Both are very strong, but I've rarely been physically moved by prairie wind. Alterations to a life course can be smooth like a light zephyr or jarring like tornadic or storm force winds. The resulting change can be planned or unplanned. Either way, routines become disrupted, including sleep disturbance, lack of focus and heightened anxiety.

So, when I realized it was leap day, it reminded me of a change in the musical world that occurred four years ago today. My selection is sung by that artist and is a song that I've used for years when needing a moment of calm. Both lyrics and melody are amazing. In an early online interview (before the Web existed), I was able to ask the songwriter about the motivation behind the song and to let him know that I'd always found it to be like liquid valium -- something calming and restful that takes effect in a short time period. I've included the stereo version of the song as well as the amazing backing track where the base line and keyboards become clearer. Amazing. Enjoy!

Early Morning Blues and Greens -- The Monkees (singer - Davy Jones; songwriter - Jack Keller w/ Diane Hildebrand)


Master Backing Track




No comments:

Post a Comment