Sunday 21 February 2016

Day 3 - 52 -- constant repetitive sounds

We've had a deafening roar in the basement for 72 hours. Today it left. The two industrial dehumidifiers and four power fans left the humble abode as the carpets seem to be dry today. The sound was quite intense for three solid days. When I ventured downstairs for any errand it was hard to hear myself speak. The fans blew a gale that pushed me down the hallway just like storm winds tend to push me along a sidewalk -- or into traffic depending on their direction. I'm afraid to see the power bill for this one, though insurance should cover this -- the landlord's insurance -- should he choose to actually make a claim. I will check with my agent to see what type of recompense is usual in this type of situation.

Interesting how noise can disrupt one's life. Sleep patterns and anxiety levels can be affected with constant loud background noise levels. It can lead me to feel angry. These fans didn't actually do that, which surprised me. Instead, they acted more like white noise as long as I was upstairs at the opposite end of the house. Luckily, this is where the office and bedroom are located. The living room was right above one of the affected basement rooms. There had once been a propane heater in the lower level and there is a floor grate at the edge of the living room where heat entered the upper level. So, that room was off limits for most activities over the weekend.

When thinking of a song that would fit the idea of a constant drone or repetitive noise, a few came to mind. I settled on one that could be a bit of an ear worm, so be forewarned. <smile>  There are many versions of this song. I've chosen one by a Canadian acappela group. It actually isn't as obnoxious as the original, but the point is made nearer the end. Enjoy!

Kiss Him Goodbye -- The Nylons



No comments:

Post a Comment