Wednesday 8 February 2017

Day 4 - 39 -- Moments of Respite

With an abrupt phone call at 6:30 AM the day began. The emergency system from work sent a call to say we were having a delayed start -- noon -- due to the weather. I sighed and then went back to sleep for a while given this gift for an extra hour of sleep. Once awake again, I checked out the window. I'd heard heavy equipment around clearing snow, so I was surprised to find that there were only 4-6 inches down. I moved snow from the walkway to the town sidewalk and both front and back porches. I then changed and walked into campus. Rain was falling intermittently as I walked, even though it was still below freezing.

After arriving home this evening, I chose to clear the snow from the street plow and behind the car. It was still rather light until I got to the wetter bottom of the pile. I was just finishing the street end of the driveway, when a young man -- a student living just down the street -- walked by and then turned back to ask me if I wanted some assistance clearing the two car lengths behind the vehicle. Before I could fully respond, he picked up the second shovel and dug in -- literally <smile>.  We had a great conversation as we both worked away at this section and it took about a third of the time it would have taken if I were doing it by myself.

Random acts of kindness can make such a difference in a day. Both my neighbour and the weather provided a sense of respite. It reminded me to continue doing the small things that might help others in their days. There are times when it is easy to become fully focused on self and not those around one. The song I thought of for today has wonderful lyrics. The band has taken a lot of negative comments, but I do love this song. Enjoy!

If Everyone Cared -- Nickelback


No comments:

Post a Comment