Tuesday 14 February 2017

Day 4 - 45 -- Snow keeps Falling

For the second day in a row the campus was closed. More scurrying to reschedule midterm exams occurred -- never a great activity since no new date will work for everyone. In the past 7 days, the university has been closed for 2.5 days due to poor weather. There have been 3 storms in those 7 days with another due to appear in 2 days -- so 4 storms in 9 days. Can you say enough already? The most recent storm left huge drifts and a goodly amount of snow. Most of the driveway (100 feet long) was upper calf level with areas that were mid-thigh and a couple areas where things were ankle deep or less. The northeast winds had blown snow from the roof on the north side of the house to make the most amazing drifts on the south side, where the sculpted snow hangs over the eaves to the tune of a foot or more. I shoveled for almost 3 hours in three different trips. I now have a path to the street. After the plow came to clear out the shoulder high piles left by the street plow at the end of the driveway, there is a gigantic bunny hill on my front lawn. The walkway, as usual, resembles a luge run. In my final trip out this evening, I moved the snow at the back of the car and stuff left by my plow guy. Tomorrow I'll do the walkway along the side of the house and clear off the back porch, stairs and clear the back basement exit. All this clearing done in time for the next storm and any on shore flurries that may arrive between now and then. The stuff is self replicating. This next storm is courtesy of a Texas low joining with an Alberta clipper to make a nor'easter. I'm ready for spring any time now. The white stuff has gotten old very quickly.

A song lyric ran through my head while moving snow around. The original is a cute song for Valentine's Day, but my lyric substituted 'shovel' for 'sugar' in the lyrics, which fit my three times outside today. Enjoy!

Sugartime -- Johnny Cash





No comments:

Post a Comment