Thursday 16 February 2017

Day 4 - 47 -- Overwhelming Weather

My goodness -- the snow keeps falling in small amounts, but it has been back over and over today. Temperatures had risen so the snow that fell overnight was heavier and by the time I was home from work at day's end, it was horribly heavy and shoveling was obnoxious (to borrow a descriptor from a friend). I did only the front walkway and was very tired by that point (about an hour again) that I left the back stairs and side walkway for another day. There was to be some sun today, but the best we got was a couple hours of no snow falling. Tomorrow will be cloudy with flurries again and again and again <sigh>. The sun now is expected to appear on Saturday with above freezing temperatures. I will tackle the remaining snow then -- it will be heavy still, but it will get done. Sadly the street and sidewalk plows left a pile of detritus in the driveway. I may be able to push some of this on Saturday,  as well. We'll see. If I can get some of it out of the way, the 4WD will manage the rest when I try to head out for groceries.

February generally is a month of winter storms on the east coast. They line up and travel across the continent ending on the eastern shores. Knowing this and accepting it are two very different things. I can deal with snow in small doses -- 2-4 inches/5-10 cm at a time. Even 15 cm is doable if it is colder and the snow is lighter to move. More than that is just ridiculous. I know that what I have in my front yard is about half of what some areas received this week. I find that to be of little comfort for anyone. The cold winter days tend to be sunny but crisp and cold. I like these days. They are the type of winter I grew up with, and less snow falls with the colder high pressure systems than the warmer low pressure days. I truly am ready for the groundhog to be correct and Spring to arrive in the first half of March. Sooner would not create much complaint from me, either.

The song I chose for today states how I'm feeling this week. It is much like the conversations that everyone is having this week. The fatigue that comes from spending so much time moving snow is written on the faces of people that I see everywhere. It is a tired, haggard look of defeat. This song says that to me. Enjoy!

Winter has me in its Grip -- Don MacLean


No comments:

Post a Comment