Tuesday 26 December 2017

Day 4 - 360 -- Boxing Day Mystery

The major winds of last night abated early in the morning. A call from a friend invited me to a turkey dinner to celebrate the season albeit on a different day. I made a new vegetable dish to take and organized some cookies for our annual exchange. Theirs are always more elaborate than mine, but we enjoy trying each others recipes -- some are keepers and others are 'once-ers' <smile>. Dinner was lovely and I was sent home with leftovers for dinner tomorrow -- and for that wonderful turkey bunwich at bedtime <grin>.

When I looked out the front window this afternoon to see how icy it looked, I was startled by something large lying behind the car. It looked for all the world like a body -- at least it was the right size. As I tried to focus better on this (at least 75 feet away) a wind gust came along and lifted the edge of a blue tarp. The entire thing did not move, just the one edge waved in the air momentarily. So, something was holding the rest down. A Boxing Day mystery at my house. I thought that whatever it was could wait the hour before I headed out for supper. So, under cover of darkness, I trudged to the car and started it to melt the thick ice sheet on the windshield --well melt enough to be chiseled off. Then I took a deep breath and walked around the back of the car and discovered the tarp was gigantic -- like the size of Manhattan. As I lifted the part that I'd seen moving earlier, it became clear that parts of it were frozen into the slush of yesterday night. So, I tugged at it all, did my best to roll it into a ball of sorts and took it closer to the house and tucked it under the yew tree. I suspect it is from an uphill neighbour. I'll deal with that in the daylight. I obviously read to many murder mysteries <grin>.

Given the excitement of the day with the story in my driveway, I've chosen a song with lyrics that sort of fit the events. It is sung by a Nova Scotian singer with a lovely voice. enjoy!

Building a Mystery -- Sarah McLachlan


No comments:

Post a Comment