Sunday 17 December 2017

Day 4 - 350 -- Wishes

The day has been filled with me making red marks on piles of paper and adding numbers from the scratches on paper. There is still a long way to  go with this last exam -- it is pretty much all short answer questions. I'm about half way through the process and need another 12-16 hours to get to the end of grading -- with another 2 or so to calculate the grades. it will get done on time, but I want it done now <smile>. How's that for adult patience/ <grin>

I've always subscribed to the binge school of grading technique. I do one question at a time to ensure as much objectivity to the process as possible. I also grade blind (except for the odd paper where someone has written their name at the top of every page). I'd prefer not to know who was answering in what way or expect certain outcomes from each name. Again, it adds to objective grading by removing some of the subjectivity that all humans will carry. So, today I only did a few loads of laundry along with the grading. That ensured that I got up and moved around every so often. It made me do some of  the stretching recommended by my physio, too. As I was getting near the end of my grading effectiveness tonight, I was surprised by a loud noise outside. Was it? Could it be?? Yes indeed, it was the snow plough driving up and then down the street. It was obviously snowing more than the 1-3 cm the prognosticators had suggested this afternoon. It looked like about 8 cm sitting on the porch rails. After a couple mighty wind gusts, that left the rails, so my easy way to eyeball the amount has disappeared. Perhaps the exercise between questions tomorrow will be to push a path to the street and clear off the porch and sidewalks.

I heard a song that says much of what I often think of at this time of year. It is soothing and has a beautiful melody to go with the lyrics of hope. The singer/songwriter was introduced to me years ago by friends and I'm so glad they did. Enjoy!

That's What I Want for Christmas -- James Lee Stanley



No comments:

Post a Comment